There’s no denying that high-quality backlinks are crucial for digital marketing today. Thus, you need to carefully track your backlinks through a backlink audit. Having the right backlinks for your website improves the success of your digital marketing.
Backlinks are comparable to the blood in our bodies. These backlinks drive digital marketing efforts to successfully rank on Google. Websites won’t survive without the help of backlinks.
But getting high-quality backlinks is no easy feat. You have to scour through millions of websites just to find what’s right for you. That’s why we’ve put together the best 6 ways to get high-quality backlinks. Follow this guide to get the right backlinks for your website.
What Are High-Quality Backlinks?
To get high-quality backlinks, you must be able to identify which ones are considered “high-quality”. If you can pinpoint which ones are best, you can focus your efforts to get what’s best.
Backlinks don’t have the same value: some are good while some can affect your website’s performance negatively. Targeting high-quality backlinks will not only improve your backlink profile, but it will also make your website look more professional.
High-quality backlinks are:
These qualities make up a backlink that propels your website’s ranking to the top of SERP (search engine results page). Even just a handful of high-quality backlinks can have a huge impact on your website’s ranking. That’s how powerful these backlinks are.
How to Know If a Domain Gives High-Quality Backlinks
Since Google does not give its ranking factors, we rely on domain rating systems from reputable SEO websites like Moz, Ahrefs, and Google Analytics. Although these ranking systems are not entirely precise, they give a good estimate of how your website performs on search engines.
These domain rating systems are called Domain Authority (Moz) and Domain Rating (Ahrefs). A higher domain authority (DA) or domain rating (DR) means that the website performs better in SERP.
For example, a website that has 85 DR would perform better as a backlink than a website with 32 DR. Similarly, a website with 85 DR will have a better backlink profile than the latter. Check your website’s domain rating using this tool here.
This is where the challenge in link building arises. How can a small website get links from a high DR website? How will high-DR websites notice your low-DR website’s presence?
Let’s see how.
Get High-Quality Backlinks NOW!
1. Do a Backlink Audit of Your Competitor’s Websites
The first thing to do is to check your competitor websites for high DR websites linking to them. Since your competitors share the same niche as your website, you can expect to find niche websites in their backlink profiles.
To do a backlink audit, you need an online tool to crawl competitor websites. No need to waste your time looking for backlinks one by one.
Then, you will need a proper backlink audit guide to know which factors are important in determining the value of a backlink. Factors like DA, DR, and organic traffic can give you an overview of a backlink’s value. Make a backlink portfolio from the backlink audit to consolidate all possible backlink sources.
This gets you on par with your competitors (at least). But that does not mean that they will automatically link to you because you belong to the same niche. You still have to work to get these backlinks.
Importance of Backlink Auditing
Let’s look at the two primary importance of backlink auditing in link building.
- To look at competitors’ backlinks – doing a backlink audit will give you an insight into what niche websites to reach out to.
- To look at your website’s backlinks – backlink auditing can show you which websites are negatively affecting your website. You can remove these websites by using the Google Disavow Tool.
2. Create Linkable Assets
Linkable assets are content that other websites are inclined to link to. In short, these linkable assets bring backlinks to your website naturally. These can be:
- An industry survey with useful data.
- Content that provides new solutions to old problems.
- A controversial take on a hot industry topic/debate.
- An infographic with relevant data.
- Case studies in your industry or niche.
Once you have a backlink portfolio from our previous discussion, you can send them linkable assets. Show off your curated content and let them decide if they will link to it. This increases your chances of getting natural backlinks from competitor backlinks.
All you need to do is to optimize these linkable assets, so they easily appear on search engines. With SEO-optimized content, you can expect to receive multiple emails asking if they can link to your assets. They can reuse such data in their blog posts. Just don’t forget to link back to them!
3. Write Guest Posts for Niche Websites
Guest posting is the easiest and safest way to get high-quality backlinks for your website. Since you’re the one to choose where to guest post, you’re responsible for the quality of backlinks that you can get.
Here’s how to guest post for niche websites:
- A prerequisite would be a backlink portfolio from the backlink audit of competitor websites. You can also curate a list of target websites for your guest post. These websites should be related and relevant to yours.
- Based on their specific niches and target audiences, make a guest post that is unique for each website. Always consider their target audience when writing a guest post. Your piece should resonate with its target audience.
- Pitch your guest post to the target website.
- Wait for their response and be thankful for whatever their decision may be. If you land your pitch, congratulations! If you don’t, then try your hand at other websites. You can reuse your content for websites in the same niche.
If you’re aiming for a high DR website, you have to step up your game. High DR websites receive thousands of guest post pitches every day. So, think about how your pitch will stand out from the crowd. They won’t get to see your wonderful content if your pitch fails to get their attention.
4. Use the Skyscraper Technique
The digital marketing scene today is focused on writing content that’s relevant for readers. If you inspect high-traffic keywords closely, you will notice that the top SERP results are long-form content. This is because of the link-building technique called the skyscraper technique.
The idea behind the skyscraper technique is competition. You must make content that surpasses your competitor’s existing content; much like skyscrapers in a cityscape. The taller your content, the more it demands attention.
For example, if your niche competitor releases an industry case study with 1500 words, your goal is to exceed that. Make more in-depth research about the case study and provide relatable content with 2000 words.
Improve comprehensive guides and provide trustworthy resource links for your data. Niche websites looking for information will see your content as link-worthy. You’ll get natural backlinks from this skyscraper technique.
If you want to take it a step further, you can use this linkable asset and pitch it to high-DR websites. This gains you more high-quality backlinks for your website.
5. Provide Valuable Resources for Reporters and Other Bloggers
Industry updates are valuable resources for reporters and other bloggers. For example, if you make content immediately after the release of the new iPhone 14, industry bloggers and reporters will flock to your article.
Not only will you get a lot of backlinks to your resource article, but also high-quality backlinks. If you get a backlink from a high DR news website, then you’ve hit JACKPOT!
You can be a source for reporters and industry bloggers on relevant industry forums. Let the world know about your exclusive content, and you might just get the high-quality backlinks you want.
Also, don’t be afraid to take exclusive interviews with news reporters in your niche. You’ll get brand mentions and backlinks from the reports that they will release on their news websites.
6. Get Links From Outdated Resources
Hundreds of websites change their names or domains in a day. Some of them might be in your industry. These outdated resources have backlinks that are linking to an outdated website.
This is the PERFECT opportunity to gain backlinks.
Let the linking websites know that they are linking to an outdated website. Send them an email regarding your concern, and then pitch your content to them. These backlinks are up for grabs to anyone in the same niche, so you better be fast about this.
Here’s how to do it:
- The first thing to do is to find industry sites that changed their name or domain or are completely shut down. Outdated websites can also be resource links that did not update their data.
- Inspect the outdated website and see what they offer to its audiences.
- Run the outdated website in the Ahrefs Site Audit tool and do a backlink audit. Follow the backlink audit guide previously mentioned above. Create a backlink profile for the outdated website and list down the relevant linking websites.
- For them to link to your site, you have to make content that’s better than the outdated resource.
- Pitch your content to the webmasters and tell them about the outdated website.
If you provide them with better content than the outdated one, chances are high that they will link to you instead. Take it a step further and introduce them to other linkable assets on your website.
Improve Your Digital Marketing Efforts with High-Quality Backlinks
The digital marketing scene is an ever-changing scene. However, backlinks act as the backbone to ranking a website in Google (or any other search engine). Without good backlinks, your digital marketing efforts go to waste.
Thus, with high-quality backlinks as your supportive elements, digital marketing becomes a walk in the park. Try out the 6 best ways to get high-quality backlinks and do a backlink audit from time to time.
But, remember that digital marketing and link-building results don’t come in a day. Patience and consistency are two critical characteristics of a successful digital marketer.